FEIF unites people in their passion for the Icelandic horse!
We want to
- to connect Icelandic horse culture, riding, lifestyle, enjoyment and passion
- to focus on horse welfare
- to provide pro-active service and knowledge
- to continuously improve and unify standards
- to promote the pure-bred Icelandic horse throughout the world
- to improve recognition of the Icelandic horse
What is FEIF?
A group of Icelandic horse enthusiasts started FEIF in Germany in 1969. The name they gave the organisation was a statement of what they were – friends of the Icelandic Horse: Föderation Europäischer Islandpferde Freunde (FEIF). Nowadays, FEIF stands for International Federation of Icelandic Horse Associations and represents 22 Icelandic Horse Associations worldwide, counting over 80.000 members. FEIF is, in fact, a hugely ambitious project, which holds the Icelandic horse world together across the globe, while endeavoring to overcome the differences in culture, politics and language. What does that entail?
- in sport and breeding: to ensure that there is only one set of standards/rules
- in education: to see that all FEIF instructors and trainers have a comparable skill set, regardless of where they trained
- in leisure riding: to create a sense of common identity and community, regardless of whether you are crossing the Rocky Mountains, or riding along the North Sea
- in youth work: to strengthen what we all share, the love for the horse – particularly for young people
The FEIF Goals
- to put the welfare of the horse first in everything we do
- to organise large scale events, giving people an opportunity to enjoy Icelandic horse culture, riding and life style, and to support and develop standards
- to define the aspects of the Icelandic horse culture and promote them
- to maintain the purity and quality of the breed
- to develop and maintain a sole register for the Icelandic horse
- to show respect towards the environment
- to establish and continuously improve comparable standards for education
- to support member and aspiring member associations to develop their infrastructure as the basis for growth
- to maintain and improve internal and external communication
Horse welfare and ethics
FEIF believes that horses and humans have evolved a unique partnership, and that horses have an important role in society, which is as relevant today as it was 1,000 years ago. Whether as family pets, equine athletes, conservation grazers, or companions, horses contribute to our lives, cultures, and economies. This partnership is right as long as people take full responsibility for their horses’ welfare.
FEIF’s code of conduct is based upon the Codes of Conduct of the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) and requires acknowledgement and acceptance that, at all times, the welfare of the horse must be paramount.
FEIF’s continued push to improve riding skills also advances the welfare of our beloved Icelandic horse. This becomes obvious on FEIF’s list of riders singled out for Good and Harmonious Riding. These riders – independent of their marks – demonstrate they clearly put the horse first in the presentation.
Month 2 – and more and more participants! A growing number of participants from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the US has meanwhile signed up for the FEIF Tour Ride 2021 with a lot of kilometers and hours. Congratulations to...
Due to the current situation, the FEIF Sport Judges’ seminar in September 2021 will take place as online seminar (Zoom) on 17th September 2021 (entire day). This seminar is open to International FEIF Sport Judges. Interested persons not listed as International FEIF...
The European Horse Network (EHN) published a newsletter with an overview of current and future activities. Items included are the Green Assets of hoses, to define, qualify and quantify environmental impacts of equines and the revision of EU VAT rules. EHN is active...